The East Midlands Packaging Society

The Voice of Packaging in the Heart of the Country

Hello all,

I'm a current first year student studying BSc Product Design at Nottingham Trent University and and keen to develop a career in FMCG. I attended the Pack to the Future event and am seeking any advice or opportunities for work experience in design and manufacture.  

Please post on here any advice you may have, or add me on linkedin.

Lucy Woodhead

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lucy

Good to hear from you and hope you enjoyed the Pack to the Future event.

I am assuming you are looking for part time or 'holiday' jobs.  If so, can I suggest you make a start by compiling a list of companies in the locality you want to work in.  This will be a bit tedious but Kelly Search, Dun and Bradstreet + a local business section of the library will have companies listed by sector.  This will give you an idea of who and what are out there.

Next you need to put together a spreadsheet as follows

1. Everyone you know!! - not as daft as it seems

2. Their phone number

3. A column which lists how well you know them (score 1-5, 5 being very well)

4. A column with how influential will they be at getting what I want (score 1-5, 5 being very influential)

5. Multiply column 3 and 4., then sort, highest at the top ie 25.  This gives you the most well known and possibly most influential people to contact.

The idea is that you will ring each of these people in turn and ask them for their advice in getting what you want.  (Only you knows that so it has to be quite succint and precise).

Therefore, you ring Bill and ask for his advice. You need Bill to give you a name of someone they think can help you.  eg Fred, Personnel Mgr of XYZ Company. You must ask if it is ok to use their name when you ring the Fred.

You then ring Fred, introduce yourself and explain you have been given their name by Bill and ask the same question.  Fred may not know you but because he knows Bill, this gives you credibility.

Again you want the name of someone who might be able to give you what you want. 

After talking to Fred, make sure you ring Bill and say thank you (closes the loop).

Hopefully, this approach will get you what you want.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Ian Morris

Secretary

East Midlands Packaging Society

0115 939 2566

Hi Ian,

I am indeed looking for holiday work. Thanks for getting back to me, I'll get to it - this is great advice!

Lucy

Ian Morris said:

Hi Lucy

Good to hear from you and hope you enjoyed the Pack to the Future event.

I am assuming you are looking for part time or 'holiday' jobs.  If so, can I suggest you make a start by compiling a list of companies in the locality you want to work in.  This will be a bit tedious but Kelly Search, Dun and Bradstreet + a local business section of the library will have companies listed by sector.  This will give you an idea of who and what are out there.

Next you need to put together a spreadsheet as follows

1. Everyone you know!! - not as daft as it seems

2. Their phone number

3. A column which lists how well you know them (score 1-5, 5 being very well)

4. A column with how influential will they be at getting what I want (score 1-5, 5 being very influential)

5. Multiply column 3 and 4., then sort, highest at the top ie 25.  This gives you the most well known and possibly most influential people to contact.

The idea is that you will ring each of these people in turn and ask them for their advice in getting what you want.  (Only you knows that so it has to be quite succint and precise).

Therefore, you ring Bill and ask for his advice. You need Bill to give you a name of someone they think can help you.  eg Fred, Personnel Mgr of XYZ Company. You must ask if it is ok to use their name when you ring the Fred.

You then ring Fred, introduce yourself and explain you have been given their name by Bill and ask the same question.  Fred may not know you but because he knows Bill, this gives you credibility.

Again you want the name of someone who might be able to give you what you want. 

After talking to Fred, make sure you ring Bill and say thank you (closes the loop).

Hopefully, this approach will get you what you want.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Ian Morris

Secretary

East Midlands Packaging Society

0115 939 2566

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Martin Hardwidge.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service